Tuesday, October 9, 2007

War on Terror Dialogue (3)

I'm not sure I'd agree that we are a "Christian nation" - unless you were just being sarcastic. Increasingly, our nation is moving farther and farther away from God, His truths, and moral integrity. In most cases, our leaders take care of earthly matters with an earthly perspective rather than a biblical one (this whole "separation of church and state" has really gotten out of hand).

My comment here is NOT (I repeat NOT) in regards to our current war situation in Iraq/Iran (as I must admit I don't know enough about the specifics), but I would say that when Jesus says to love our enemies it doesn't always mean turn the other cheek to injustice, dishonor, and other peoples' sins. I think the world also often twists the Bible to think that we must accept everyone as they are and not ask people to change and follow Biblical teachings and that we should just let people do whatever they want (the "if it makes you happy, it can't be bad" teaching). Sometimes, the love that we need to show is played out by fighting for justice, by stopping tyranny, by helping others understand and pay for their sins, and other things like this. I admit that it is a complicated subject as it is easy for our political views and earthly governmental opinions to be used as a filter for how we try and apply biblical truth. We pray for clarity by the Holy Spirit - I certainly don't have all the answers.

Jason, I'd love your thoughts on the subject. -Brent

No comments: