Tuesday, November 6, 2007

This got me fired up.


I just read something that really upset me. I was reading through Brian McLaren's book: Everything Must Change, and i stumbled across a figure blew my mind. He's talking about US military budget. I'll just quote from the book:

"The 2006 budget showed that US military expenditures were twenty-one times larger than diplomacy and foreign aid combined, and that the United States was dead last among the most developed nations in foreign aid as a percentage of gross domestic product. One wonders what would happen if good-hearted Americans realized that a mere 10 percent of the US military budget, if reinvested in foreign aid and development, could care for the basic needs of the entire world's poor. Or if they realized that one-half of 1 percent of the US military budget would cut hunger in Africa in half by 2015. Would there be marches in the streets calling for budgetary reform?"

These figures are disturbing. How can this be? What bothers me the most is the lack of people that realized this. Especially so called followers of Jesus. Think about these hungry children next time you pay your taxes.

I'm embarrassed to live in this country

No comments: